20 January 2009

A day to go down in history...

I can't begin to express my excitement as a new era begins in our nation. I am filled with an overwhelming sense of hope and joy as Barack Obama becomes our President!!! I will be glued to the television today at my second home the Bottletree cafe, celebrating with dear friends.

Speaking of dear friends, my dear friend Tracy Martin posted a comment on Facebook that really moved me as we approach this tremendous occasion--she said she wishes her father could witness this event. Tracy's dad was the amazing Spider Martin, photographer and civil rights activist. He passed away a few years back, but the images he captured live on in so many ways. The photographs he took during the Civil Rights Movement are so powerful, and I think they speak loudly as we make this huge stride forward in American history.

Please visit the Spider Martin web site, here. All photos are courtesy of the Spider Martin web site. I hope these images inspire you and fill you with a hope that endures!





3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so cool. I didn't know Spider's name. I was listening to John Lewis talk last night, and I could feel the momentum of this event filling me up. I can't even get my head and heart around all this, it's just so profound, on so many levels.

    I took the day off work and will be watching too. I hope we find out the stats of people around the world watching. I don't imagine that has ever happened before, certainly not on this level.

    Thanks for stopping by synchronizing and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks, Ruth, for stopping by and sharing! It seems like everything I see on the news, every interview, every bit of footage of details and historical significance--I get so deeply emotional. I consider myself someone who is relatively in tune with the spirit of a thing, but this is so much bigger. There is undeniable hope in people who once only felt despair.

    In the words of the phenomenal Nina Simone,
    "It's a new dawn
    It's a new day
    It's a new life for me
    And I'm feeling good."

    Hope you stop by again soon! And have an incredible, incredible day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up singing that song! Gonna put that Flag on the mountain!

    ReplyDelete